Salem Playback Theatre seeks new Members of the Board.
Purpose of Organization
Playback is a unique type of performance where members of the audience come on stage and tell true stories about themselves, which the players then re-enact on the spot. Sometimes funny, sometimes moving, playback performances seek to empower the teller and create a community among the audience.
Salem Playback Theatre is the home of Playback in Salem, Oregon. It was founded in 2012, with training and guidance from Portland Playback, and is a registered 501c3 non-profit. The company has performed at many public and private events, including TEDx Salem, the Oregon State Hospital, the SMART Reading Program, the Capital City Anti-bullying Event, several church groups, and a series of public performances at the Reed Opera House. Salem Playback Theatre continues to train actors and perform. The company seeks to grow its membership, continue public performance, and develop outreach programs into local schools.
The mission of Salem Playback Theatre (SPT) is to improve the quality of life of everyone in the community through compassion, humor, deep listening, perspective, and connection to the human spirit. For more information, please SPT website at www.salemplayback.org.
Members of the Board will support the work of SPT and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by the Artistic Director (who is also President of the Board), the Board-Director relationship is a partnership, and active involvement of all Board Members is both critical and expected.
Board Terms and Meetings
Board Members serve three-year terms, eligible for renewal, with no term limits. Board meetings are held quarterly (or at other times as convenient and necessary), with a required annual company meeting in early January.
Performance and Rehearsal
SPT rehearses weekly and performs (ideally) monthly. While attendance at rehearsal and performance is not required, it is certainly welcomed, and board members are expected to show an active interest in the performance activities of the company.
Board Members may also be performing members of the company, subject to same training and conditions as regular members of the company. (This is not a requirement of Board membership.)
Leadership, Governance and Oversight
Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the Artistic Director and collaborating to develop a strategic plan.
- Developing relationships with the community and serving as an ambassador for the Company, with a goal of creating performance and outreach opportunities.
- Assisting in the recruitment of other Board Members and performing company members.
- Assisting with fundraising opportunities, including grant writing, the annual donation campaign, planned giving, and the solicitation of private donations—as available and appropriate.
- Approving SPT’s annual budget, reports, and business decisions, and meeting all legal and financial responsibilities.
- Serving on committees and taking on special assignments, such as serving as a liaison to other organizations.
- Ensuring SPT’s commitment to a diverse Board and membership that reflects the greater Salem community.
SPT Board Members should consider SPT a charitable priority and are expected to make annual gifts to the Company to the best of their ability. A record of Board Member donations allows SPT to credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- A commitment to Salem Playback’s mission and purpose.
- Leadership experience in theatre, education, business, government, non-profits, or the arts.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively and reach consensus with diverse individuals, and to cultivate relationships with diverse members of the public and other stakeholders.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with technology and social media is desired, but not required.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives in the greater Salem community.
Service on SPT’s Board of Directors is without pay, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation in relation to official duties.
Please submit a letter of interest that includes your qualifications and why you would be a good fit to fulfill Salem Playback’s mission, to: email@example.com, by May 1, 2016.
Please direct questions to the Board Secretary, Jay Gipson-King, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 850-445-5843.